15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Farewell to Weekly Geeks

34

I had intended to post a review this evening of Odalisque by Fiona McIntosh but it seems that I'm having one of those evenings where I just don't like anything that I'm writing! Perhaps that's because I'm tired (and being tired makes me critical of everything) or perhaps it was because it really was drivel (and you're better off without it)...either way, I popped over to Weekly Geeks to check out their most recent 'assignment' and was met with this announcement:
Over the last nearly three years, the team keeping this blog running has ebbed and flowed. Mostly we've tried to be consistent in posting each Saturday and doing a wrap up each Friday. But, over the last several months not only has our focus as a team struggled, but participation in the weekly assignments has slowed to a trickle...

So after some discussion, the Weekly Geeks team has decided that it is time to end this event.
I always have a lot of respect for bloggers that put so much of their energy and time into memes and Weekly Geeks was a great one! I only participated in a few of the tasks, really, and only came to blogging a long time after its creation so can't post anything about its inspiration and the blogger in whose memory it was so devotedly maintained BUT the final post also recommends having a nosy through their archives and posting something from there so here is my choice, from way back in September 2009. It was a largely random choice but it fits with the gloom that is early September here in Yorkshire so...
It's hard to believe we're approaching the last quarter of 2009. Soon those of us in the northern hemisphere will be curled up in front of the fire (or solar heater) with our favorite wintry reads, and those in the southern will be off to the beaches with their summer books.

Do you have a plan of what you're going to read the rest of the year? Have you had a master plan all along? If so, have you stuck to it? What helps you to decide what you're going to read next? Challenges? Book groups? Or do you have the luxury of closing your eyes and picking any book off your shelf?
I'm quite disorganised when it comes to what I want to read in general and very rarely plan my reading beyond a vague consideration of what I might read next. Most of the time, I then ignore that and grab wildly at my shelves.

However, when it comes to winter, I love books that are a bit moodier, a lot more gothic and tortured and generally strike a chord with the turbulent weather outside. Think mysteries, thrillers and haunting classics! Examples from last year include The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving, The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly and Sister by Rosamund Lupton.

As I said, the chance of me sticking to this are slim-to-none but these are some of the books that I plan on hiding from the snow with this winter...

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Tess of the D'Urbevilles by Thomas Hardy

Do you plan your reading? Any particular books lined up for the winter months?

And if you want to check out Weekly Geeks and the posts that were, click here. Thanks again Weekly Geekers! You were great! :-)

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38