15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

In My Mailbox #4: In which I bow to peer pressure

34
I've been doing a pretty good job so far this year of reading things I already owned, rather than constantly adding to my stash.  That was until I was transferred from one of my firm's offices to the other and received a Waterstones giftcard as a "leaving" present.  As a treat to myself for surviving a whole week in a new office, I just went into Waterstones for what I'd planned to just be a quick look around.  Obviously, that was never going to work out. 

First up, I strayed far too close to a display of Edgar Allen Poe collections and ended up picking up a lovely Vintage edition of The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Stories which professes to include all of Poe's short stories and novellas.  I've been meaning to read some of his work for some time now and since I imagine that the film The Raven will be exactly the kind of film that Boyfriend will want to go and see, I should get stuck in sooner rather than later.  Recommendations of which to start with always welcome :)

What I'm going to type next might call into question my sanity for a lot of you but bear with me:  I've never really been overly bothered about reading The Hunger Games.  I've read countless reviews telling me it's without doubt one of the best YA books/series out there and a vast proportion of those have been by people whose opinions I trust.  Then there was a lull in the bombardment until the film trailers appeared, which got everyone all excited again.  Usually, I'd have read it by now out of sheer curiosity but perhaps I've been feeling contrary.  Regardless, I recently saw the film trailer on TV accidentally and THEN I decided that I wanted to read it.  So it's been hanging around in the back of my mind for a while and then I saw a pretty display, grabbed a copy with an enthusiasm I didn't know I had and...well, I've been itching to start it ever since. 


That's actually it for this week but it's been a while since I bought a book (particularly "real" books) so I'm excited!

I hope you've all had wonderfully full mailboxes this week! :)

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38