15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? #9

34
A Monday recap, courtesy of BookJourney

It's been a while since I've taken part in this particular bookish meme but I always think that it's a nice way to start a week!  It's been a good few weeks for reading, both in a pages read sense and a quality sense, which is a happy combination!  It would have been nice if some of my reading time had been spent outside but, alas, it's still horrendously wet in Yorkshire (although fortunately we haven't had any floods!).  So instead I've been huddled under blankets with hot drinks and big, fluffy socks - it could be worse :)




What have I been reading this week?  

Last weekend, I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.  It was definitely unique and once I got used to the various characters and Oskar's quirks, I really enjoyed it.  It was a bit...heavy-handed in places but it was still  very moving and I'll be recommending it here soon.  I've also read my first book for Hanna's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen challenge!! *FANFARE* I read the devilish The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and, while I wasn't completely in love with the ending, it's a great book.  I realise that it sounds stupid that I didn't know the ending going into it, it being such a well-known classic and all, but I didn't.  The writing is hugely atmospheric so it's PERFECT for a stormy night!


What am I reading at the moment?  

After the malevolence of The Phantom of the Opera, I thought I'd take a little jaunt into science-fiction territory and try out the TimeRiders series (by Alex Scarrow) that I've heard a lot of good things about.  The first one, handily also called TimeRiders, is shaping up nicely.  There's time travel, a ragtag bunch of teenagers hand-picked by a mysterious old man that are being trained to 'police' time and stop people mangling history and I assume that at some point there will also be a/some bad person/people.  I'm intrigued (because I totally love having my mind bent by time travel plots!) and it's light so I'm a happy reader so far.

What am I planning on reading next week?  

I'm missing epic fantasy, I think, so this week I'm going to try and refresh my memory on the first 11 books of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and get stuck into The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) before the FINAL instalment is released next year some time.  This was the first "proper" epic fantasy series that I read and I used to save up and buy them one at a time.  They occupy the top shelf of my favourite bookshelf and I love them.  The ones I haven't read yet are those  contributed to by Brandon Sanderson and I was kind of planning on getting used to Sanderson's writing before I went into these BUT I really want to read these now so I'm just going to go for it...

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38