15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Bout of Books 6.0: A bit of a catch-up and SATURDAY

34
Bout of Books Read-a-Thon

Well hello again, read-a-thoners!  How are we all on this lovely Saturday morning?  Hopefully your read-a-thon is still going wonderfully well and you're all reading something great.  The past couple of days have been superb reading days for me! On Thursday I had over 7 hours on trains to go to a meeting for work.  I did get some work done but the complicated document that I thought would take hours to look through actually turned out to be a lot more straight-forward than I thought so I had way longer to read than I expected.  I actually FINISHED The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, even though I very nearly blubbed on the train a couple of times.  It was just...I don't even know how to describe it.  I loved it, even though reading made my heart hurt most of the time.  Adequately reviewing it will be tough!

Total pages read for Thursday:  225 excellent pages!

Friday was slower but I had a meeting at 9.30, which meant that I got to stop by Starbucks on the way in and have a hazelnut latte and a skinny ginger muffin and get started on my next book.  A sterling start to the day!  The rest of the day was work and then in the evening I kind of flattened out when I ran out of energy so I ate a lot of food with Boyfriend and watched lots of 30 Rock.  Not very good for the read-a-thon effort but a very pleasant evening all the same :)

Total pages read for Friday:  47 pages

And now it's..

SATURDAY

I have been relentlessly stalking Ellie's daily updates this week and so have decided to be a copy cat for today and tomorrow.  There wasn't a great deal of point in me doing them during the week, since it would mostly have been me saying "And then I was at work", which is no fun to write or read.  TODAY though, I have had a good start to the day and, apart from a trip to the cinema with Boyfriend later to watch Ryan Gosling shoot at people (it's Boyfriend's turn to choose the film...:-/), have no plans!  So I shall be reading plenty and updating here throughout the day :)

Today's Stats

Books read from:  The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen
Pages read:  119 pages
Books finished today:  None
Total read so far:  490 pages; 1 book and three quarters (thereabouts...)

10.30am

I woke up at 8.00am, as is pretty usual for me at the weekend if I haven't been drinking the night before.  On a usual day, I get up at 5.45am so 8 is quite a luxury! How sad...I lounged in bed for a delicious hour and read another chunk of The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen.  When I was choosing a book to read after The Handmaid's Tale, I tried not to over-think it.  That was such an outstanding book that I knew following it would be difficult and I might find myself not reading anything if I thought about it too much.  I saw this little sparkly book (seriously, the cover is ADORABLE!) nestled on my shelf and grabbed it and left for work.  Good choice, me!  It's narrated by Minou, a girl that lives on a teeny tiny island with her Papa, Priest and Boxman and a dog called No Name.  It's told in a fairly whimsical way but there's something really beautiful and fairytale-like about it.  I sense some heart-ache around the corner but so far it's not at all disrupting what is shaping up to be an AWESOME reading month.


7.30pm

After my promising start, I've not been doing so well...I did go to curl up on my bed for a little while to have some quiet reading time but only read 30-something pages before I had to make myself fit for going out in public.  Boyfriend and I took an afternoon trip to the cinema and went to watch Ryan Gosling shooting up some bad guys in Gangster Squad.  Despite not being my first choice, it was actually really good and I did get to chow down on a ton of salted popcorn and sweets.  So I'm full of junk food and ready to continue on with The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen with a big mug of peppermint tea.  Honestly, sometimes my life is so rock and roll it's astounding!  :)

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38