15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Showcase Sunday #3: The Birthday Edition

34
If you are of a grouchier disposition, you may want to look away now; this post will include much lavishing of praise and thanks on two of my very favourite bloggers, Hanna (Booking in Heels) and Ellie (Musings of a Bookshop Girl).  Friday was my birthday and both of these lovely ladies sent the most wonderful, generous parcels and I am very, very grateful to them both - THANK YOU!  It's actually been a week packed full of dinners out, birthday cake and family, which has been lovely.  I know, I know...less talk, more books, right?  Right.

HANNA did a superb job of picking out some TERRIFIC looking fantasy that I am so looking forward to reading. There is no note of surprise in that sentence because Hanna always picks out perfect gifts and it is just one of the many reasons that I adore her. Look how pretty:


The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines - this has been on my wishlist for ages. Probably since I read Hanna's review, actually.  It sounds super fun and it'll be my first Jim C. Hines book, which I understand to be a Good Thing.

Temeraire by Naomi Novik - Alternative historical fiction with dragons. Colour me interested.

The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde - I've read the first two in Fforde's Thursday Next series.  I loved them both a great deal and am so excited about getting back into the world of literary crime.

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson - I really have to get to reading some of the Brandon Sanderson that I have collected.  This one has pictures and everything and I just picked it up for a moment to flick through it and love it and was very nearly lost. Plus, Hanna loved it so it's pretty much a dead cert that I will love it too.
  
ELLIE did an equally perfect job of present-buying. What I love about Ellie is that her parcels are always easy to identify as from her - there's always a strong literary feel and at least one "Ellie Book" (you know, one that I associate with her because I remember her recommendation).  Another pile I can't wait to get stuck into:


Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell - I read Animal Farm back in high school but have never read this one.  A shameful omission but one I'm happy that I'll soon be able to remedy.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - I *love* the sound of this book and have heard brilliant things about it.  Bel Canto may well end up being the first book that I pick up when we get back from our holiday.

The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks - another that has been on my wishlist since Ellie reviewed it in February 2011.  It looks and sounds like a witty take on the slightly dried up vampire territory and I think I might save it for just a couple of months to tuck into as a Hallowe'en treat.

My Grandma also played a blinder and got me Rick Stein's new book: Rick Stein's India.  One of my other main loves in life is food and cooking and Rick Stein's books are always beautiful.  This one is no different and the pages are packed full of anecdotes about where Stein came across the recipe, stunning photographs of food and India and, obviously, has some delicious sounding meals that I am super excited to try out.  

All in all, an absolutely wonderful birthday that I think may not be over!  The equally lovely and superbly witty Laura (Devouring Texts) also leads me to believe that a cheeky birthday present is making its way to me. The longer a birthday is dragged out the better, if you ask me so I can only say that I am very much looking forward to seeing what the postman might bring soon :)

If you're around and about this week and you will have a few hours spare to mosey around the blogosphere and read some books in good company, you really should take part in Bout of Books 8.0 - you can find all of the details HERE!  I sadly won't be joining in this year because I'm going on holiday first thing on Thursday morning and won't be back until the following Tuesday so, although I will no doubt be reading plenty, I won't be able to join in the chit-chatting and challenge-partaking that really make this read-a-thon.  To all the bloggers joining in, HAVE FUN AND READ SOME PAGES FOR ME!

Did any pretties sneak their way into your house this week?  Please do share because obviously if there is one thing that I need, it is more books to pine after.  Happy reading, peeps!

Labels:

35 36 37 38