15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Classics Club: It's Time

34
For the past few years, I've been saying that I need to read more classics.  Not because have any sense of obligation or am plagued by feelings that I should be reading anything in particular or that there are books that are more worthy than others but because when I do invest the time in the stories and writing that have really stood the test of time, I really do enjoy it.  I did a couple of read-alongs this week and the responses that I've had from people on Twitter and the discussions that I've had on the blog have been some of the most interesting.  I'm not saying that that's only down to the fact that I've been reading classics but I do feel as though there's something about reading books that have been read by countless others that's kind of nice. 

I've umm-ed and ahh-ed over whether to sign up to the Classics Club ever since I first saw other bloggers signing up.  50 books over 5 years might not sound like a lot to those that read 100+ books a year but I tend to read 50-65 books in a year, which would make almost a fifth of the books that I was to read each year classics.  And yes, I do know that that is rather over-thinking things SO this year, buouyed up by actually reading Charles Dickes in 2013 and not dying in the process, I decided to stop thinking about the numbers and just start reading some classics and see how I get on.  Plus, putting together the list was fun in and of itself so even if I never actually read any of these books, that's something. 

Since I've been putting the list together over the past week or so, I'm going to call my start date 1st January 2014, making my target for reading and reviewing all 50 of these beauties 31st December 2019.  That's ages. I can definitely do this.
The List
(sorted alphabetically by author's surname and with those that I already own marked in bold)

1. Margaret Atwood – The Blind Assassin
2. Jane Austen – Northanger Abbey
3. Jane Austen – Persuasion
4. J.M. Barrie – Peter Pan
5. Ray Bradbury – Something Wicked This Way Comes
6. Anne Bronte – Agnes Grey
7. Anne Bronte – The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
8. Charlotte Bronte – Villette
9. Emily Bronte – Wuthering Heights
10. Truman Capote – In Cold Blood
11. Orson Scott Card – Ender’s Game
12. Wilkie Collins – The Woman in White
13. Daniel Defoe – Robinson Crusoe
14. Charles Dickens – Bleak House
15. Charles Dickens – The Pickwick Papers
16. Fyodor Dostoevsky – Crime and Punishment
17. Alexandre Dumas – The Count of Monte Cristo
18. Alexandre Dumas – The Three Musketeers
19. Daphne du Maurier – My Cousin Rachel
20. George Eliot – Middlemarch
21. F. Scott Fitzgerald – The Great Gatsby
22. Gustave Flaubert – Madame Bovary
23. E. M. Forster – Howard’s End
24. Elizabeth Gaskell – North and South
25. Stella Gibbons – Cold Comfort Farm
26. Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm – The Complete Brothers’ Grimm Fairy Tales
27. Thomas Hardy – Tess of the D’Urbervilles
28. Joseph Heller – Catch 22
29. Nathaniel Hawthorne – The Scarlet Letter
30. Victor Hugo – The Hunchback of Notre Dame
31. Shirley Jackson – The House on Haunted Hill
32. Henry James –The Turn of the Screw
33. Franz Kafka – The Trial
34. Daniel Keyes – Flowers for Algernon
35. C. S. Lewis – The Chronicles of Narnia
36. Gabriel Garcia Marquez – Love in the Time of Cholera
37. Thomas Mallory - Le Morte D’Arthur: Volume 1
38. Margaret Mitchell – Gone with the Wind
39. George Orwell – Nineteen Eighty-Four
40. Salman Rushdie – Midnight’s Children
41. J. D. Salinger – The Catcher in the Rye
42. Robert Louis Stevenson – Treasure Island
43. William Makepeace Thackeray – Vanity Fair
44. Leo Tolstoy – Anna Karenina
45. Jules Vergne – Around the World in Eighty Days
46. Kurt Vonnegut – Slaughterhouse Five
47. H. G. Wells – The Time Machine
48. Edith Wharton – The House of Mirth
49. Virginia Woolf – To The Lighthouse
50. John Wyndham – The Day of the Triffids

Any favourites I should stick at the top of my pile?  Any stinkers I should be avoiding like the plague?  Let me know!  And if you fancy signing up yourself, head HERE!

Labels:

35 36 37 38