15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Moby Dick Read-along: Week Zero - Introductions

34

And so it begins! 

As per the War and Peace read-along, Hanna has posted some prompts to help us all muddle our way through the whaling extravaganza. This week is introductions and expectations! 

If you haven't signed up yet and want to, you can find the sign up post HERE and the schedule HERE. (OK, so it turns out that the Blogger app doesn't let you insert links...pretend they're there and I'll add them in later!)

1) What are you expecting from the novel? Do you have any preconceptions?

I didn't have chance to get hold of the laptop last night and get this posted so I'm actually writing this having read the first three chapters and a little bit of the fourth. Not enough to give me any great insight or revelations into what's coming but enough for my initial fear to be assuaged a little bit!

I'm expecting it to be a bit of a long haul, if I'm honest. There's a reason why none of us have eagerly started reading this of our own volition. I'm still a bit fearful of the time that will be dedicated to describing the sea and worried that I'll find myself unspeakably bored when we're on the ship and hunting down the White Whale. 

2) What do you already know about the plot or character?

Next to nothing. I know that there's a whale and I know that Ishmael (thank you, Matilda) is probably going to be involved in hunting it. That's all I've got!

3) This book, unlike War & Peace, isn't a translation? Do you think that will make a difference?

I totally agree with both Hanna and Bex in that the language will probably feel a little more dated than the language in a translation because there's nobody refreshing it. I also think that it will make a difference to the read-along aspect specifically because this time we know that we're all reading the same words and (blessedly) the same character names!

4) Have you read Moby Dick before? What prompted you to read it now?

Good heavens, no! I very much doubt that a book telling the tale of some whaling is going to be something that I'm going to be re-reading. 

I think that the question for me is WHO prompted me to read it now. Because Hanna did. If she hadn't organised a read-along, I would not be reading it. Call it residual guilt from the time that I *may* have been involved in her reading a book that included exploding animals, if you like...

5) Show us a photo of your book! 

I'm reading on my Kindle again. Kindles were made for fat classics! I'm going to acquire the Penguin English Library edition too so that I can display it proudly on my shelves. If I'm reading the bloody book, I'm getting the kudos!


Good luck, everybody!!

Labels:

35 36 37 38