15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Rest-Of-Winter TBR

34
When I finished Three Dark Crowns over the weekend, I found myself paralysed by indecision over my next read.  I think in part because I acquired a fair few books over the Christmas period but also because  Three Dark Crowns was a bit of a disappointment.  Usually I get a pretty good gut feeling about what I'm in the mood for but I couldn't work it out. I ended up starting Bird Box by Josh Malerman, which is definitely very readable and had the advantage of being on my Kindle so I could read it when I woke up earlier than Boyfriend and had to try and read in the gloom...

All of that faff prompted me to whittle down a pile of books that I definitely want to get to over what's left of the Winter so that hopefully when I've finished Bird Box, I don't have as much of a dawdle over my next read...links are to GoodReads.

1.  The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan - I've been re-reading the Wheel of Time series over the course of the past year or so and I've loved each one even more than I did the first time. Maybe because I've since read more fantasy or maybe because of the nostalgia over teen me discovering the fantasy genre.  This fourth book, though, has been a bit of a looming figure for my re-read.  At over 1,000 pages, it's the longest book in the series and was one that I remember dragging a bit. I definitely want to keep on with the series though and the Winter will be a great time for facing down the slightly daunting page count.

2.  The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon - Why yes, this one is in the list mostly for its title.  It's also a literary/historical thriller, though, about a mother found dead in a field shortly after the tragic death of her daughter and a diary discovered by a modern day inhabitant of the house that seems to offer clues to what happened.  I bought this recently and it sounds perfect for a snowy weekend.

3.  The Unseen World by Liz Moore - This book has been all over BookTube recently and it sounds right up my street.  It's about a woman whose father gives her a floppy disk when he is diagnosed with Alzheimer's that supposedly contains secrets about her father's life.  It's set in the 80s and I'm definitely sucked in by the hype.

4.  Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama - I'm not going to lie, I bought this almost solely because it had pink end papers and looked cool.  It's a translated Japanese mystery that actually does sound pretty great ("SIX FOUR. THE NIGHTMARE NO PARENT COULD ENDURE. THE CASE NO DETECTIVE COULD SOLVE. THE TWIST NO READER COULD PREDICT" - call me convinced by Caps Lock).

5.  Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs - I read the first two books in the trilogy last year and I really want to finish the series before I lose momentum.  Also, I promised my mum she could borrow my copy when I'm done so I feel as though I should play fair and get to it soonish.

6.  The Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor - I read the first in the St Mary's time-travelling unit adventure-type series last year and it was just so much fun.  Sure, they're a bit overly simplified and they can feel rushed but Hanna's on the third one and I want to keep on with them too so this can be one for when I'm looking for an easy read.

7.  Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Brian Stevenson - I want to try and branch out a bit this year and read some more non-fiction (I currently read basically none...).  This is one I picked up last year that's about race and justice in the US legal system, written by a black lawyer who has struggled with the system for years.  It sounds very relevant to current political issues and frankly if I can't get into a non-fiction that's based on law, I'm not really sure what I'll be able to get into.

And that's it! My tentative TBR list for what's left of the Winter.  In future months, I'll probably go with 10 but seeing as we're already part way through the season, I'm just going to go with 7.  What books are you hoping to pick up in what's left of the chilly season?

Labels:

35 36 37 38